The Matrix & The Christian Life

 

The Matrix & The Christian Life


   Throughout the years that I have been a Christian, I have used a number of different ways to try and explain what the Christian life is like.  When I start to talk about the life that I live with Christ, most people think I have “found religion”.  I do NOT consider myself to be very religious at all, but I am very excited and enthusiastic about my having the Spirit of Christ in my life. 

   A few years ago I saw the movie The Matrix and I thought that it was one of the best illustrations that I have seen of the Christian life.  I would like to share that with you.

   I am always viewing life through the perspective of my Christian life and when I saw this movie – I found a lot of parallels.  I am not sure if it was intentional, but the writers seem to have definitely been familiar with Biblical ideas.  The names of the characters are Biblical in nature.  The main characters are Trinity, Neo, and Morpheus.  The word “Trinity” is not in the Bible but has been used by Christian leaders for centuries to define the three personages of God.  The word “Neo” is the Greek word for new and is used a number of times in the Bible.  The word “Morpheus” is found in the Bible in Matthew 17:2.  It states that Jesus was “transfigured” before the disciples.  The Greek word for what happened is the word “Metamorphoo”. In Romans 12:1, it encourages us to be transformed.  This is the same Greek word “Metamorphoo”. 

   The biggest comparisons to the Christian life are not just the names of the characters, but the main plot of the movie.  If you have not seen the movie, let me describe the plot briefly for you.  It turns out that the Matrix is a computer program that is being communicated to the brain of countless individuals to keep them content to lie in a pod so that machines can use the small electrical current that is generated by the human body.  They are thinking that they are living life, but actually, they are very much asleep and oblivious to what is actually going on.  Some of the people have found a way to wake up and Morpheus was one of the first.  He is now going out into the Matrix world to try and help others to wake up.

   This is extremely similar to the message of the Bible.  The Bible tells us that we are not just asleep, but “dead” to the spiritual life that God wants us to experience. In Ephesians 2:1, it states “And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins.”  The Bible also said that in Christ you can be made alive.  In 1st Corinthians 15:2, it states “For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.”  Those of us who have come to Christ and have woken up are now trying to help others do the same.

   Let’s look at the story.  The movie starts with the character of Neo.  He is working his job, talking with friends, playing on his computer, living his life.  But something inside tells him there is something more… something that he is not being told, that somewhere there are answers to his life.  This search takes him to a meeting with Morpheus.  This is a very dramatic scene and I have loved sharing this movie clip with many people. 


   When Neo meets with Morpheus, he confirms his search and says that there is a way to find the answers about his life, to discover the truth about his existence.   He compares him to Alice in Wonderland and her trip down the rabbit hole.  He offers him a choice.  Take the blue pill and you will forget about all of this and you can return to your life.   Or take the red pill and you get to see “just how deep the rabbit hole goes.”  Read the words of this very interesting dialog.

The Red Pill Scene of the Movie The Matrix

 

They arrive at a hotel, and Trinity takes Neo to a closed door. She turns and faces him.

Trinity: This is itlet me give you one piece of advice. Be honest - he knows more than you can imagine 

Neo opens the door, and walks in to see a dark figure staring out of the window. He turns and smiles at Neo.

Morpheus: At last. Welcome, Neo. As you no doubt have guessed, I am Morpheus 

Neo: It's an honor to meet you.

Morpheus: No, the honor is mine....Please, come, sit.

Neo sits down in the armchair.

Morpheus: I imagine that right now you're feeling a bit like Alice... Tumbling down the rabbit hole? Hmm?

Neo: You....could say that. 

Morpheus: I can see it in your eyes. You have the look of a man who accepts what he sees, because he is expecting to wake up.  Ironically, this is not far from the truth....

Morpheus sits down in the armchair opposite from Neo

Morpheus: Do you believe in fate, Neo?

Neo: No.

Morpheus: Why?

Neo: Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my own life.

Morpheus: I know...exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you're here. You're here because you know something. What you know, you can't explain. But you feel it. You've felt it your entire life.  That there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there...like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me. Do you know what I'm talking about?

Neo: The Matrix?

Morpheus: Do you want to know....what it is....?

Neo nods

Morpheus: The Matrix is everywhere. It's all around us, even in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work, when you go to church, when you pay your taxes. The Matrix is the world that has been pulled over your eyes, to blind you from the truth.

Neo: What truth?

Morpheus: That you are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else, you were born into bondage, born into a prison that you cannot smell or taste or touch. A prison...for your mind....Unfortunately, no one can be...told what the Matrix is...you have to see it for yourself.

Morpheus opens a container which holds two pills: a blue one, and a red one. He puts one in each hand, and holds them out to Neo.

Morpheus: This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back.....You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up and believe...whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill.....you stay in wonderland...and I show you just how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Neo pauses for an instant then reaches for the red pill. He swallows it down with a glass of water, and looks at Morpheus.

Morpheus: Remember...all I'm offering you is the truth: nothing more.    (Morpheus half smiles at Neo.)


   Neo takes the red pill and WAKES UP!  The pill that was given to him causes him to break off from the Matrix program and physically wake up.  He then goes through a process of trying to get his body to acclimate to his “New Life”.  He goes through a painful process of getting his body to function and overcome the atrophy of his unused muscles.



   Just like Morpheus, Neo goes back in the Matrix trying to convince others to wake up just like he has.  Can you imagine him trying to describe the experience that he has just had in waking up and they were to call him religious?  Can you realize how absurd this would sound? 


   He would say how crazy that was!  He would say that he had not found religion, but he had found LIFE!  He had woken up!  His whole perspective to life has changed, he has a newfound attitude and approach to life, and he had discovered a deeper reality to life, after experiencing his own change.


   

   Maybe you are like Neo.  You are living your life, working your job, but inside, you sense, you long, for something more.  You tell yourself, there has got to be more to life than what I am experiencing.   And you are right!  The truth is that you have only been experiencing a small dimension to life.   When you establish a relationship with God, you will find life on a spiritual level.  When His Spirit comes into your life, you will experience an internal transformation (a metamorphous).  You will awaken to God’s presence, power and ability in your life.  It will dramatically change your perspective in life and give you a newfound direction.

   The reason that you can experience this new (Neo) life is because of the death of Christ on the cross, for the first step to discovering this life, is to repent of sin and find forgiveness at the cross. 

   So… you can take the blue pill.  You can say, thanks, I appreciate you telling me about this, but I’ll just stay where I am.   Or, you can take the red pill (I don’t mean to belittle the blood of Christ, by comparing it to a pill), but there are similarities.  If you will acknowledge your sin, and invite Christ into your life… you will discover just how deep, the Christian life can go!

 

You can pray this prayer to start living:

Lord Jesus, I believe that you died on the cross for my sins.  I am sorry for my sins and I want to change.  I open my heart and ask you to come into my life and be my Lord and Savior.  Make me the kind of person you want me to be.  Thank you for saving me and giving me eternal life.

In Jesus' name, I pray.  Amen!

 

Written by Lee Malden – lmalden@hotmail.com            2020

The Matrix – 1999, Warner Bros., Directed by The Wachowskis, Produced by Joel Silver

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken and Blessed

Gift#4: Inner Strength

Gift #3: The Bible